Report to Police

What can I report to police?

Unwanted sexual contact is never okay, and certain types of contact are criminal offenses.

In Iowa, sexual abuse is illegal. Sexual abuse can be characterized by any of the following;

  • the victim lacks the mental capacity to know the right and wrong of conduct in sexual matters.  the sexual act is done by force or against the will of the other
  • the consent or acquiescence of the victim is procured by threats of violence
  • the victim is under the influence of a drug inducing sleep or otherwise in a state of unconsciousness
  • the victim is suffering from a mental defect or incapacity which precludes giving consent

If you are not sure whether or not what happened was sexual abuse, the Title IX staff at Coe College can help you determine if reporting to the Cedar Rapids Police Department could be a good option for you. If you choose to do this, Coe College will not share any information that you told them with the police.

As with reporting to Coe College, you are always able to have an advocate with you when you report to the police.

Read more legal definitions at Laws in Iowa and Laws Outside Iowa.

Back to top

How do I report to the police?

To report to the Cedar Rapids Police Department, call 911. Cedar Rapids Police Department also has a non-emergency number, (319) 286-5491. Coe College can also assist you in notifying law enforcement and help you get in contact with specific investigators who are experienced in working with survivors of sexual violence.

Cedar Rapids Police Department
505 1st St SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404

Reporting to the police is your decision. If law enforcement officials seek your involvement in an existing case, you always have the option to deny their request. If you do report to the police, you do not have to press charges against the perpetrator if you do not want to.

If you report the incident to the police, you do not have to press charges against the perpetrator. 

Neither law enforcement's determination whether or not to prosecute, nor the outcome of any criminal proceeding, are indicative of any determination Coe College will make about whether or not a violation of the Sexual Misconudct Policy was committed. 

Back to top

What happens after I report?

The police usually contact the perpetrator to get their account of what happened. They may also assign an investigator depending on the details you provide and how you wish to proceed.

If you report a perpetrator to the police, and that person is a Coe College student, the police will notify the Dean of Students, who will then notify the perpetrator that an incident of sexual misconduct has been reported against them.

You can choose whether or not to have your identity disclosed to the perpetrator. If you do choose to disclose your identity, it is common for a Coe College “no-contact” order to be placed on the perpetrator, meaning that they will not be allowed to interact with you.

Back to top